If you are about to tie the proverbial “knot” and are planning the big day, there is one particular question that might come up: How to choose a DJ for your wedding? After all, you want everything to be great, and that includes the music! So, how do you find the right DJ to provide it?
How and where to find a DJ
Before dealing with the question of how to choose a DJ for your wedding, you first need to find some candidates. While Google and other search engines are certainly your friends when it comes to doing internet research, you might want to narrow down your search a bit more:
- Wedding planner: If you have a wedding planner/agency taking care of the organization, they probably already have one or several DJs on hand.
- Wedding magazines: Many wedding magazines and websites have a catalog of artists and service providers for weddings.
- Married friends and acquaintances: Ask them about their own experiences. Maybe you have even been to their wedding and did like the music there.
- Specialized online directories like GigMasters (The Bash), GigSalad, etc.
How to choose a DJ for your wedding
When you have found your candidate, here are a few points to look out for:
- Website: It should go without saying, but the DJ of your choice needs to have a website as their virtual presence – not only as a form of online “business card,” but because it gives you a lot of the information you need for your decision!
- Music: Styles, genres, selection, mixes – music is a broad field, and you want to get an idea of what you will hear at your party. Check out a few of our music samples here!
- Team: Who are the people behind the website? Are you dealing with a “one-person-show,” or is there an experienced team of specialists?
- Testimonials: Have a look at the testimonials/reviews on their website (a selection of ours is here). Another great place to read about what other customers say about their experience with the DJ is their Yelp, Facebook, or Google My Business page.
- Additional Services: Some DJs offer additional services, extra features, and equipment to make your big day special. Find out more about what else we have to offer and get inspired!
- Awards: Granted, this is not something any DJ has to show, so consider them a bonus – industry awards as a special hallmark of quality.
A good fit?
Once you get to talk to the DJ, consider the “chemistry.” Are they a good fit (aside from questions like their availability and your budget)? Are you getting the impression that they understand and share your personal “vision” for the reception/party? How experienced are they with weddings in particular? How do they deal with guest requests? How flexible are they? Is there a substitute available (e.g., in case of sickness, etc.)? You have found our website by now, so the first step is already done. Contact us to find out more, and to see what the Lethal Rhythms team can do for your dream wedding!